Bruce,

The water heater is a pretty basic device. And it seems that all of them (most
of them?) look and connect in a similar way.

You have cold water in, hot water out (usually cold water lower than hot),
pressure relief valve, drain. The coolant in and out can be on the same side
(front) or at the back (most vendors offer both models). I don’t believe that
there is any difference which is in and which is out for coolant (the heat
exchanger is pretty simple inside).

I don’t believe you will need to purge the air from the water side of the
heater. The air should come out through your taps. If in doubt, you can always
open the pressure relief valve (as Josh suggested) and if the water flows you
are done.

The bigger problem might be purging air from the coolant side. It really
depends on where the heater is located. Some boats have it located high up
(well above the engine). It does not look like that from your photo, but just
in case. If this is the case, you need to have a purging valve next to the
heater. I have seen the heaters installed like that (in the lazarette). In that
case, you had to purge the air at the heater and the engine had to be run at
fairly high revs (2500?) in order to push the coolant all the way there.

If the heater is at the same level as the engine, you should be able to purge
the air through the normal filler cap (no additional work required; the air
will escape to the overfill tank).

Hope it helps

Marek