Listers,

On a recent trip I found my sea strainer plugging up with sea weed very often.
The good news is its doing its job. The bad news is it plugs up far too
frequently.

It seems to happen most frequently when entering or leaving various harbours
here on the west coast.

On 2 occassions I noticed the temperature gauge climbing well above its usual
range between 170-180 F.

Its now to the point where I check the strainer before leaving harbour which is
a real pain.

Last season after leaving Nanaimo harbour it was plugged so badly it starved
the impellor pump to the point where the impellor and seals had to be replaced.

My Beta 25 has less than 170 hours on it and it runs beautifully. Perhaps the
issue is the strainer is too small or is an out dated model that can be
upgraded?

Does anybody have any ideas on what can be done? Perhaps a screen preventing
sea weed from entering the pickup hose?

Thank you.

Al H.
Pacific Ranger