Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the list.

The "smile" is a common thread here.  Usually the "smile" is cosmetic.  You
can see an example here (visit the "Do It Yourself" link in the left
sidebar on the cncphotoalbum site:

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/smile/index.htm

This "smile" was repaired by first properly torquing the keel bolts,
digging out a bit of crumbly keel, filling the gap with epoxy glass,
glassing over the entire hull/keel joint with 2-3  overlapping layers of 4
" biaxial tape, fairing the area and painting.  It has not recurred in 20
years.

Many owners have had this same experience.  However, a few owners have
dropped the keel and done more substantial repairs.  This is usually due to
some exacerbating circumstances.

Another issue is the backing plates for the keel bolts.  If your boat has
carbon steel backing plates under the keel bolt nuts and washers, they
should be replaced with stainless plates prior to properly torquing the
nuts.  The original carbon steel plates are subject to deterioration which
may cause the keel to loosen.

The specs for keel bolt torque can be found here (visit the "Technical
Info" link in the site's left sidebar):

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/torquebolts/torquebolts.htm

Many of us would advise you complete the above steps, sail the boat for a
season and re-inspect.  If the smile reappears, you may need to take
further action.

This list is a wealth of experience and information on all things C&C and
many things sailing related.  Feel free to post any additional questions.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA