That looks like it could have resulted from the combined effect of loose
bolts AND a grounding event.  I definitely think it needs additional
attention.

I would do the "normal" repair.  Tighten/check tight the keel bolts,
excavate, fill, glass(maybe), fair.

Have you had a chance to investigate for water ingress around any of the
bolts?  Can you or has anybody done a structural inspection?  What happens
during a grounding is that when going forward the keel acts as a lever arm
and crushes into the hull at the trailing edge of the keel.  Compression
damage to both the hull and keel may be evident in this area.

Some people suggest to use the flexible material to fill the gap because
the keel is likely to flex when heel over, is that a perception or a fact?

Original construction used a layer of 5200, 4200, or butyl tape on the
joint.  The joint was then faired with a low density fairing compound.
Often times what owners see is years of bottom paint and the fairing
material chipping out in a straight line that extends from leading edge to
trailing edge on both sides.  This is a typical smile.  Sometimes it is
natural and unavoidable cantilever flexing.  Sometimes it is loose-ish
bolts that allow for the cantilever flex.  Yes, instead of a low density
fairing compound a tougher material is in order.  Notice I didn't say
stronger or harder.  Toughness is the opposite of brittle.  IMO the west
systems G-Flex line of products fits this description.  If I was in need of
dropping the keel I would probably still use 5200 to seal the joint but
then simply fill with G-Flex as described in the article that I linked
previously.

Also, do you need to raise the mast to tighten the bolt? I am under the
impression that one bolt is hidden under the mast.

I had 2 bolts under the foot of my mast (C&C 37+).  You should probably
expect at least one.  You may be able to engineer a mechanism for
tightening the bolt without pulling the mast but ultimately I think you
will spend more time and money.  Just coordinate with the yard to use their
travel lift  to haul and block the boat in preparation for the repairs.
Make sure that they can reach the mast with their crane.  Once the lift
sets the boat on the keel arrange for the crane to lift the mast.  It
doesn't have to be removed - just lifted a foot or two.  Of course there
are lots of maintenance items that you could coordinate during a complete
mast removal.

My yard is saying I need to do all this in travel lift, is this necessary?

Yes, the weight of the boat should be compressing the joint while
tightening the bolts.  Some listers have argued that the amount of tension
created by a single bolt at the correct torque exceeds the weight of the
keel many times over.  I say, if you need to get to the bolt under the mast
anyway and you need to fill and fair and paint the keel anyway then you
need the travel lift.  If you wanted to experiment or practice on the
accessible bolts while the boat was in the water then it is unlikely that
you would harm anything.

Preparation is going to be the key to an expeditious repair.  There are
lots of tools and correct sized sockets needed as well as a yard that has
the ability and willingness to coordinate with you for the use of their
equipment.  I haven't even touched on the tools, equipment, and consumables
needed for the fill, fair, and paint.

Keep the questions coming.

Good luck,

Josh Muckley