When mine slipped, I replaced the belt, and it cured the problem. If you
want to tension the belt, you have to remove the rubber(?) plug, and there
is a cam that you adjust. The lever on mine has been popping out since I
bought the boat (nineteen years ago). I use one of those things that feels
like a wire coat hanger covered with rubber to hold the lever in place.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR