Thanks Neil - and yes sounds similar.  I have the smaller acr which has
on-board led indicators.   I gather you needed the larger unit for a higher
output alternator.
According to the support docs, the charge source has to exceed 13.7 v for a
period of time for the batteries to combine.  On the shore charger the
batteries see 14.28 v from the charger, and settle at 13.2v fully charged, as
do yours.
Here’s the installation:
http://cncwindstar.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html?m=1
I missed and will add the ability to monitor the voltage on the start battery,
this will give all the necessary info.
Off to the alternator shop...

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone