Hello all;
The rudder on my 1995 C&C XL/kcb has started 'squeaking' a little and my
recently installed hydraulic auto-pilot motor has sent motor overload messages
via the controller. Many years ago, I had a wheel pilot (since deceased) that
worked well but I have hand-steered for the last 15 years or so.
While these issues may not be related, I figure I should have the rudder
'serviced' by the yard--I prefer to have pros do any work that involves really
important stuff--rigging, rudder, etc.
My rudder seems to ride on at least a pair of bearings that rotate with the
rudder on top of a plate of some kind--whatever else is involved is unknown to
me.
My questions for the list:
Is there something specific that I should point the yard to look for other than
inspect the rudder mechanism and replace/repair/grease as necessary? I'd prefer
not to send them on an fishing expedition looking for problems that don't
exist! OTOH while she is on the hard, now is the time to do anything required.
Should I have them install zerc grease fittings somewhere assuming there are
none there currently so that it can be greased regularly in the future?
AFAIK the mechanics of the rudder have never been serviced, aside from ensuring
that when the boat is on the hard rotating the rudder by hand to confirm that
the wheel turns is possible nor have I ever had any problems with it.
Any suggestions would be welcome--this is probably the only 'system' on the
boat that has not (obviously) needed any work since she was new.
Thanks,
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom1995 C&C XL/kcb