I was able to stop my rudder chirping by flushing out the under side of the
quadrant with fresh water and then shooting in some saillube. But is sounds
like you have a more significant issue that some crud between the plate and the
bearings.

It’s could be a result of the below deck install not reinforcing the rudder
shaft causing the rudder type to flex thereby creating extra resistance.  Josh
has some great pictures of his install and the reinforcement of the rudder post
is substantial.

I plan on going below deck with mine since the new and improved Raymarine pilot
does not like an under power drive, at all.

Good luck!

Tom Buscaglia
S/V Alera
1990 C&C 37+/40