It sounds to me like you are referring to the pedestal guard when you talk
about various sides.  If so, yes networking can reduce the number wires
required.  Especially wireless networking.  Another option is to upgrade
the size of the guard.  I recently installed a 9"  b&g zeus 3 in a navpod
and the recommendation from navpod was to upgrade the guard diameter from
1" to 1.25".   They cited some high percentage of increased wire capacity.   It
was relatively seamless but not particularly inexpensive.

It sounds like you have a wire which can be removed (old chartplotter
cable)?  Why not do that?

Another trick I pulled was powering the LED in the compass from the
"remote" (yellow) wire on the chartplotter.  When you turn the chartplotter
on the compass comes on.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+