Yes.
You can ask, that is_
However, don't do it!
 I did that in a 1973 Perkins, and It continued to run. However after I did it, I read a lot of stories and articles that said not to use synthetic oil in older engines. The engines were not designed for it. I have also heard stories of them starting to leak, although I cannot verify that. Modern car engines are designed for synthetic and you absolutely should use synthet in those, however these were not engineered for it. Another more common sense reason, is that it is strongly recommended to change your oil in the fall, so it doesn't sit with acidic oil and it all winter. And, seeing as how most of us generally don't use more than 20 or 40 gallons of diesel a year, these engines are generally bathed in pretty clean oil. My Yanmar has around 2500 hours on it, and the oil still looks pristine even towards the end of the season.

Bill Coleman
Erie PA