One of the biggest reasons an oil "wears out" is that the acids build up
and the oil's pH is too low.  If you know the starting base number you can
track it and predict when it will be "exhausted".  I use Amsoil Marine
Diesel Oil 10w40.  It has a TBN of 12 and I send samples off to be
analyzed.  There are lots of different parameters checked and any one of
them can create call for an oil change.  The recommendation comes back from
the lab in about a week and the service costs about $25 including
shipping.  This is almost the exact same service that we do on the three
3.5Mw and two 5 Mw diesel generators where I work.  We only change the oil
after a major overhaul.  You don't have to use Amsoil to use the analysis
service.  As I recall I haven't changed the oil in almost 3 years.

Here is a copy of my last report.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MaBnvf4Fc9auz-p_Yw-yp5uh-Z7R4N__/view?usp=drivesdk

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk