Dwight,

All of your points are very accurate.  Many people in my past have said,
"Well I'll just get the oil changed at Jiffy Lube.  It will be cheaper and
I'll have peace of mind that I have new oil and have followed the OEM
recommendations."  For me the value of seeing things like water, glycol,
fuel, and soot tell me more about the engine than about the oil.  I gain
peace of mind that everything is still working properly while
simultaneously reducing my oil disposal impacts for less than an oil and
filter change (good oil and filter).  I'm not an Eco-vigilanty but I do
have a predisposition to not dispose of stuff until it is worn out.  It's a
curse really.  You should see my cars, electronics, and wardrobe!  Haha!

Josh