OK, Richard, I'm in.
Oil:
     You can never be wrong following the manufacturer's recommendations
(Yamaha).  The biggest advantage of the new synthetic oils is longevity.
Most of us change the oil and filter every fall and put very few hours on
our engines.  Therefore, longevity is not that important.  Of course, yeah
I know, there are other advantages of the synthetics, but the
manufacturer's recommendations are king and therefore I use their
recommendations.  When synthetics first came out, some manufacturers would
void your warranty for not using the recommended lubricants.  I use
synthetics in my cars, but they were designed for them.

Filters:
     Again the manufacturer's recommendations should be followed, but most
of us do not put anywhere near enough hours on our auxiliaries to warrant
changing the filter more than once a season.

Recommendations:
     Yanmar recommends changing the oil every 100 hours and the filter
every 300 hours for a GM or HM engine.  Shell Rotella is one of the oils
they recommend.  Otherwise, change oil and filter every fall, so the acid
and moisture-laden lubricants from the summer don't sit in the engine all
winter.  Save your money for a good glass of bourbon. That's what I do.

All the best,
Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+