I did that on my 39, and I removed those annoying straps. I put A Rod going from the top center of the mask collar, with a flathead on the top end of the rod, sealed in butyl. On the bottom I had a turnbuckle, and I drilled and tapped into a keel bolt and put 3/8 in threads into the keelbolt for the bottom of the turnbuckle. I think some of the newer boats had something similar to that.

Bill Coleman