Defiant looks awesome. They stated in a video that the boat foiled in her first
90 minutes of being on the water. The video shows her turning at speed and
looking very steady proving they are doing many things right. I'm a huge fan of
Americas Cup cause it pushes the possibilities of sailing, keeps designers and
builders busy, and is very entertaining. Foiling has been around a while but
recent developments have produced foils that work at low speeds like standup
paddle boards and even surfboards. The other night I watched an hour long
documentary of Larry Ellison winning the cup back from the Swiss several years
before the foiling catamarans. I also watched a video of a guy in Truro,
England (Poldark area) building fifty foot Pilot Cutters in wood and training
young people to be builders. BTW, my boat takes her name from an Americas Cup
defender of 1920, Resolute. She was short on the waterline with a bigger than
normal sailplan and struggled but kept the cup. She was gaff rigged with three
headsails and designed by Nat Herreshoff who designed and raced the first
catamaran and designed the first fin keel w bulb. If he were alive today, I'm
sure he would be testing all the cutting edge materials and designing foils.

The new AC boats will be 75 feet long, foiling monohulls, no keel, no
centerboards, the foils are attached to arms that rotate the windward foil up
to act as a counterweight. Eleven man crews. New Zealand is defending against
America, England and Italy, so there will be four boats. The races are in 2021
so they have two years to practice and improve the designs.

Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1990 C&C 34R, Pasadena, Md