Hi Neil,

I'm going to have to side with Charlie on this one.  There's no shortage of
One Design regattas, perhaps the most relevant having been raced last
weekend, the NYYC Resolute Cup, a Corinthian competition between amateur
sailors from Yacht Clubs around the globe.  All sailing identical Melges
IC37 boats.  It was very important racing for those clubs involved but
received little interest outside of some industry related press.

The America's Cup has ALWAYS been a race that pitted crews and yacht
designers and engineers, even from the very first competition.  When J
Class, 12meter and ACC class boats were involved, there was always a "box
rule" that allowed for creativity and design enhancements that would allow
for innovation.  Without that innovation, we would never have molded sails,
carbon fiber spars, or lightweight high modulus yacht ropes that are so
popular with today's racers.

I've been a big AC fan ever since the 60's and thought back then that
Intrepid was the absolute pinnacle of sailboat racing design.  I would sit
in middle school classes and try to duplicate her lines, her trim tab and
rudder, drawing with a pencil using a French curve.  It fascinated me how
different that boat was than all the other 12meters.  Where else but in a
competition with virtually unlimited budgets would that sort of innovation
be incubated and brought to fruition?  Think of how Ben Lexan's winged keel
threw the monkey wrench  into the world of sailboat design and it still
finds its way into shoal draft keels on modern boats.  That would never
happen if the Cup was strictly a one design event.

My only regret is that the Cup competition no longer has a strong foundation
with regards to home grown sailors.  The free agency of international talent
with little regards to national representation has diluted the passion with
which our country follows the event.  With such a domination of Aussie and
Kiwi sailors in the cup, we appear to have lost the will to train local
skippers and crew to reach for that gold ring of excellence that was once
held by Dennis Connor, Bus Mosbacher, Paul Cayard, and even Bill Koch.  How
to change that will depend on who winds up winning the Cup in this upcoming
addition, but it is somewhat comforting that the US based challengers are
using our country name to identify the syndicate rather than their corporate
sponsor.

Go Defiant!

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic