You will want a separate shore power cord for the AC if it draws 25 amps, don’t
try and use the existing shore power.
Joe
Coquina

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Edd Schillay
via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:54 AM
To: Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Edd Schillay <e...@schillay.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List Air Conditioning Installation Questions --
Raw Water Supply

Josh,

The quote I’m getting is for a 16,500BTU unit, which I’m told will draw close
to 25 amp when fully working. The installer claims, once installed, the main
cabin will be comfortable and the aft cabin will be VERY cold. I didn’t
consider under the v-berth as there’s a lot of storage that I use down there
and, as far as I can tell, venting the other cabins will be a challenge.

As for under the steps, I think getting AC-power there would be a challenge and
I have concerns, though probably unwarranted, about hoses and wiring
interfering with engine access. I’d be interested in seeing a diagram as to how
you ran your lines.

The head uses a sea-water intake, so I suppose I could tee off of there, but
that’s quite a long run, is it not?

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Captain of the Starship Enterprise
C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B
Venice Yacht Club | Venice, FL

Starship Enterprise's Captain's
Log<https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=e20cfde1-be9ab541-e20cd496-0cc47adca788-c45b0af4910df62c&q=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fenterpriseb.blogspot.com%2F>

On Sep 19, 2019, at 10:45 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List

2 installation locations that you may want to consider are under the V-berth
and under the stairs.  Ours is under the stairs.  Blue Pearl had one under the
V-berth.

Since I have a Vacu-flush head from the PO it left a thru-hull for the flush
water unused.  That might be and option.  A lot of owners have mixed feelings
about the V-berth sink.  You might consider that as an option too.

I find that our 16,000BTU unit is undersized.  Go as big as possible and look
for variable speed compressor and blower.  Air distribution is a challenge.
Ducting just doesn't fit.

I look forward to hearing how your solution works cause I need to upgrade.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019, 9:58 AM Edd Schillay via CnC-List
Listers,

Yesterday, I met with an AC installer on the Enterprise to cool off the main
and aft cabin, as well as fight off mold and mildew (as I understand it, the
expectation of growth of mold and mildew in this area is far more reliable
than, say, David Risch actually attending a C&C Rendezvous).

The plan is to sacrifice some of the aft-cabin hanging locker.

Until I haul the boat again, which I don’t plan to do for another four years or
so, I don’t have a dedicated through-hull. I’ve heard it’s not a good idea to
tee off of the engine intake, but there is the galley sink drain nearby. Any
issues with tee-ing off of that one? Obviously, I’d need to refrain from
dumping chemicals into the sink while the AC is running so as those chemicals
don’t go through the AC. Anyone know of any issues with that plan?

Also, I’m a little perplexed as to why tee-ing off the engine intake is so bad.
The AC is 110V AC-powered, so it’s not like I’m going to have the engine
running and the AC going at the same time? Or can I with my 2000-Watt inverter
and high-capacity alternator?

Log<https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=3a2f8dbc-66b9c51c-3a2fa4cb-0cc47adca788-740bc50fe7acbc48&q=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fenterpriseb.blogspot.com%2F>