I taped a 100 foot tape to the top of a long stick then taped the bottom of
the stick to a halyard, hoisted it so the top of the stick (and tape) was
raised over the masthead and was even with the tallest thing on the mast
(VHF antenna), then put the tape on the water.  This method should yield a
result which is a couple inches longer than the actual draft.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA