Hi Tom,
Is it possible that the tank has a few gallons of microbial growth (bacterial and fungus) that gas created clumps/sludge on the bottom of the tank taking up good fuel space? Be careful using a bio ide, as a friend told me he did this and a few weeks later while returning through Active pass in choppy seas, some clumps blocked his fuel filter. Fortunately he had previously installed a parallel filter, and a quick flip of a switch to the backup fuel filter got the engine running again with no other problems.
Good luck.
David Miles
Impulse 1998 C&C 30MK2