It definitely cut out immediately.  Now that I think about it, an ignition
problem explains the observations better than a fuel problem.  Good to know
about the coil.  If ever I take this boat somewhere I’ll need to motor more, or
if ever I have to overhaul this 47-year-old mechanical ignition system,  I’ll
invest in the Moyer electronic ignition kit.

Cheers,
Randy