Agreed,  run it without the filter as a test.  ( a boat is one of the least
dusty environments a diesel will see.).    Not sure I’d be too concerned about
getting a ‘high performance’ type for this use, I’d just re-foam the metal
cone-thing.  Weird you can’t find an OE filter,   No problem for my 2gm.
I assume you’ve verified that the fuel flow is unimpeded?

Good luck.

Dave, 33–2.
Sent from my iPad