Interesting discussion about backstays.  My 34+ has developed a series of
cracks in the gelcoat below the backstay attachment point on both sides of the
transom.  I have the split backstay with pulley adjustment.  I am not sure when
the cracks started, but they have gotten worse.  Not through the hull (no water
leakage) but a surveyor and a fiberglass guy both suggested I do something
about it.  Both sides have stainless steel backing plates which I would have
thought sufficient. One of the problems with the split backstay/pulley
adjustment is that I have no idea how much force I am putting on the hull when
I crank the backstay.  I did not think it was possible I could be doing damage,
but something has happened.  Anyone else had this problem?

In any event, it is being fixed this winter by repairing the cracks and adding
a glassed in support tying the transom to the hull.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT