There was a member of the email list a few years ago that had a 37+ who had
some damage on his transom at the backstay attachment points.  I think he
had two hydraulic rams (one on each side for a split backstay) and at some
point in the past someone had put way too much pressure on the hydraulics,
perhaps before he owned it.  He had to do some sort of repair as a result.

We have the paired hydraulic rams on our 37/40's split backstay and have
had no issues.

It doesn't hurt to slack the back stay off some when leaving the boat if
you think of it.  That's one of the things on my 'leaving the boat'
checklist.

Ken H.