The controlling depth is “supposed” to be 12’.

Good luck with that, at least in the spring. I made the trip upbound for the
second time last year.

The advice in April 2018 was that the minimum was 8’, but in several places
where Tributaries enter the canal, debris had filled in reducing it to only 6
feet. There were other problems, such as a lock master who was reporting
“normal pool” between Lock 19 and 20, because . . .the level was BELOW all the
numbers at the bottom of the lock. We could see the stains a foot and a half
higher which showed where it should be. A call to the Authority, and his
supervisor came and apologized,  and said he could raise the level 12 – 14
inches overnite, which we were dubious of, but next morning they had raised the
level 14” over a 10 mile stretch. They control a LOT of water.  He said they
had new dredging equipment coming that summer, and there would be plenty of
water after that.

Eventually we had to stop at Rome for 3 weeks until they had dredged Woods
Creek, Sylvan Beach, and another creek. We still dragged the bottom at several
other places along the way, including both sides of the Genesee River. Hard to
complain about a gem like this, especially when it was free, no charge ($200)
for the centennial year of 2018.

It is a wonderful trip, and I would recommend doing it at least once. Most
places offer free docking overnite, many with free electric.

I know our own Brig Niagara has gone through the canal at least twice, and that
is 126 feet with a 10.5 foot draft.

Bill Coleman

Erie PA

Do I have to google the controlling depth of the Erie canal?  Step up, New
Yorkers.  What's up there?

Chuck, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Pasadena, Md

On November 26, 2019 at 6:57 AM "Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List"