To me the biggest issue is the rules. You don’t have a game unless there are
rules whether we’re play a board game, baseball, football, hockey or sailboat
racing. There is no game unless we are all onboard with the rules. In most
sports we have umpires or referees to keep everything on the straight and
narrow but In sailboat racing, for the most part, we referee ourselves and in
orders to do that we must each know the rules. Our rules may seem very daunting
and hard to understand but they can be learned and should be by those
participating in regattas whether they are competing in the JAM or spinnaker
division. Sometimes those we encourage to participate in racing are not
interested in taking the time to learn the rules and opt to stay away or hide
in the JAM division where they think the rules seem less critical. Wrong, rules
apply and are important in all divisions.
In my option all organizations who sponsor races should also offer racing rule
clinics on a regular basis. Actually, learning the rules and how to apply them
can be a fun part of the game and with a beer and some refreshments clinics can
help all competitors to improve their game and enhance the fleet’s
participation and togetherness.
My 2 cents.
Dave. Kaseler
SLY