In my club, it's accepted that if a mark is missing, boats make every
attempt to turn at the stated location of the mark.  We have a couple of
permanent club-maintained race marks that are well offshore (miles).  They
disappear every few years.  We usually don't know it until we discover it
during a race.  In that case, boats turn at the plotted location.

Except for dinghy races, all our marks are located at plotted and
publicized positions.

Rule 34 is fairly moot on a mark missing during a race.  Conduct for
missing marks and the location of marks should be stated in the sailing
instructions for the race/regatta.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA