Couple of concepts for you.

First, using your stainless sleeve idea, explore a Helicoil.  Many grease
fittings are 1/8 NPT.

https://www.amazon.com/Recoil-36028-Thread-Repair-Inserts/dp/B00KGO2DK0

A Helicoil (thread repair fitting) will give you increased hold in the
fiberglass tube.  I suspect you have a bit of room between the inside of
the tube and the rudder shaft.  If you mark your drill bits with tape for
maximum depth, I'm thinking you can enlarge the hole with consecutively
larger bits before tapping with the tap supplied with the thread repair
kit.  Insert the coil then install the grease fitting.

Another concept would be to leave the existing hole as it is and epoxy a
layer or layers of glass on the outside of the tube.  You could glass the
grease fitting in as you apply the layers.  Alternatively, you could clone
the outside diameter of the tube, fabricate a "patch" with the fitting
epoxied into it and then epoxy the patch on the outside of the tube lining
the fitting up with the existing hole.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA