Rick
So that’s topsides and boot stripe(s) only, or hole Hull as well?

John Conklin
S/V Halcyon
S/V Heartbeat
www.flirtingwithfire.com

On Mar 12, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

I had Imzadi painted in the early spring of 2017 - almost exactly 3 years ago.
On the recommendation of the guy who does most of th ework I can't do myself,
we used Alexseal 2-part paint. Alexseal is an alternative to Awlgrip or Imron.
William reports very good results, and uses it for most of the paintwork he
does. Comes on a pretty wide range of colors, one of which was a bit darker
than the faded smoke white of Imzadi's hull and might be a close match to the
original C&C color. One big advantage of the Alexseal paint is that it is about
half the cost of Awlgrip. My cost for getting the boat prepped and painted
(white topsides, triple red boot stripe, red cove stripe, red transom) was
$125/foot - about $4800.

The paint has held up very well. Have had some black streaks from black
rubstrips on an floating dock that washed right off. Had one scratch from a
bolthead sticking out of a piling, which turned out to be an easy repair using
some surplus from the original paint. The red transom shows no signs of fading
yet.

Maintenance is to wash every 3 to 6 months with mild soap and water, and to
wash annually with a product they sell which I presume is similar to Awlcare.
BTW, the Alexseal website also lists other alternatives to their maintenance
product - one of which I recall is made by Meguiars and is available from my
local West Marine.

In all honesty, there was one small problem when the boat was painted. When
they sprayed the red for the boot stripes and cove stripes over the white hull,
the thin red paint leached under the edge of the green 3M masking tape amd left
a fuzzy edge. So William had to touch up the white, remask the stripes with
this fiendishly expensive 3M gold masking tape, and reshoot the red stripes. No
 problem using the higher quality tape.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC