Tracking your fuel consumption and fuel available is really a fairly important
safety measure. I filled my tank and ran my boats for 12 hours at cruising
speed and then filled up again. It was pretty easy to figure fuel consumption
in gallon/ hour and get a good idea of my range under power. I know that if I
run at lower rpms I can go longer and if I run faster my fuel will give out
sooner. I also have a good idea of the capacity of my tank because with 5 extra
gallons handy I’ve run the tank dry. Bleeding the engine is easy and a handy
skill to possess.
One of the few ways a Swan is better than a Baltic is that they have a tube and
a calibrated dipstick for water and fuel tanks so up you can get a good handle
on your remaining fuel. I plan to install a way to dip my tank on Masquerade
soon. Another great way to monitor tank level is to have a sight tube;
basically you have an elbow coming out the bottom of the tank and another at
the top directly above and connect them with a clear or translucent hose.
Simple and elegant.
The only fuel gauges I’ve seen that consistently work are the ones where you
pump them up at the gauge and take a reading. I think it’s called a Tank Tender.
Good luck
Andy
Masquerade
Currently in Oxford, MD
Planning to start back toward Newport tomorrow

Andrew Burton
26 Beacon Hill
Newport, RI
USA    02840