Since the NMEA2K conductors usually run from the top of the mast to the
back of the boat and supply power to all the devices in between, the
voltage drop is a significant problem even if you use the recommended
cables.  Using the NMEA 0183 cable which doesn't usually supply power to
all the devices along the way will probably not be acceptable, especially
since they're probably won't be enough conductors anyway.  I recommend you
go with the recommended cables and also make very sure that the wires
supplying the network backbone are sufficient to prevent significant
voltage drop.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+