Helicoils are just one option to deal with stripped threads.  IMO if you
can go with a larger bolt then it is a better option.  Some applications
such as spark plugs have limited "meat" and fixed diameter threads so
staying with original size is really probably the only option.  In other
circumstances (SS fasteners in aluminum) you may actually find a good
option is to drill the hole clean and install a "liner" such as a rivnut
(rivet-nut).  This way you will have stainless on stainless.  This is
really only an option when the material is relatively thin and has space
behind (masts).

As for your furler I imagine that the fasteners failed because of the
aluminum to stainless galvanic corrosion?  In this case you probably have
room to increase the diameter but probably not the depth for a rivnut (or
for that matter a Helicoil).  I would definitely suggest up sizing for this
situation.  You will now find that you have options.  Standard or metric,
and how much larger?  I would walk the isle of the hardware store and
evaluate availability of fasteners before settling on anything.
Particularly difficult to find may be metric set screws in stainless.  This
is your opportunity to "upgrade" to more available standard sizes in
stainless.  In the case of set screws, you may want to consider
availability of allen wrench.  9/32nds or 17/64ths is relatively less
available.  Stepping up another fraction might put you in a more
conventional size of tool.  When you install them, make sure to use a
galvanic isolating material, either a lubricant like tef-gel or anti-seize,
or a thread locker.  Blue or green thread locker would be my choice for 1/8
to 1/4 inch set screws.  You'll probably have to plan on bringing a micro
torch when to go to remove the screws.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+