When I did the dripless seal on my 27, I used a separate plate with drilled
holes, bolts and sockets to drive the shaft out of the coupling. I did not
use the flange on the engine. Tighten, kroil penetrating oil (protecting
the engine shaft seal from it) tap, rotate, repeat. Took 2 days! Along with
the new seal I replaced the cutlass bearing. Shaft and prop came out as one
and went off to a prop guy.