As a requirement for repairing and repainting the deck and cabin top I have
pulled every piece of hardware on my 1982 C&C 37 with the exception of the
toe-rail. Virtually every item was installed with butyl. When we bought the
boat many years ago I would add hardware or replace hardware like any obsessive
boat owner would do and I would use sealants from 3M, Boatlife and Sika.

Every item sealed with butyl was dry and leak-free. Those items that I
installed with the other products eventually failed and/or leaked. Given my
general ineptitude those failures were probably my fault. But...

With the fact that the deck had almost no wet core, it was an easy decision to
re-bed with the same material. I have re-bedded all of the hardware with butyl
except where the manufacturer recommends a specific sealant, the plastic
Beckson opening ports coming to mind.

One thing that continually runs through my mind as I go about the process of
re-bedding using butyl is the incredible amount of effort and time required to
apply it. Were I a boat builder looking to keep labour costs down, I would
probably be using tube sealants.

My $0.02 (US).

Regards,
Dave Godwin