I check the tension on my backstay with my Loos tension gauge same way i do
shroud tension. the gauge on my Navtec Hydraulic backstay tensioner is also
clouded after many years but still readable and Its reading compares
favourably with the Loos gauge at 1200 psi which is what i carry on my
upper shrouds. I hardly ever use more than 2000 on the backstay: in fact
most days set it and forget it at about 1000. Jib ticklers and mainsail
tell tales are very helpful

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:59 AM Dennis C. via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> We had this discussion many years ago on this list.
>
> I think I recall that this is tension (in pounds) on the wire/rod.  I
> think the reading on a hydraulic back stay adjuster gauge is pressure (in
> psi) on the piston.  If so, they are not the same.
>
> I think you have to convert the psi reading to tension based on the area
> of the piston in YOUR adjuster.  For instance, if your piston is 1 1/4
> inches in diameter, you would have an area of 1.23 sq inches.  So 1000 psi
> on the piston would exert 1230 pounds tension on the back stay.
>
> I could be entirely wrong.  Can someone verify this?
>
> Touche's hydraulic back stay gauge is too opaque to read.  We adjust to
> sail shape and have a batten with green/yellow/ red/black tape marks for
> repeating settings.
>
>   --
> Dennis C.
> Touche' 35-1 #83
> Mandeville, LA
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:39 PM david--- via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure this picture will be small enough for the list. When I
>> bought my 35-2, I found a memo from C&C in the nav  table saying the
>> maximum back stay tension is 2050 pounds
>>

>> David Kelly
>> Baraka C&C 35-2
>> Noroton, CT

> --