I too, run my outbound all the way out of gas, and if I'm leaving it for long,
I even open the bowl drain on the carb for a moment and drain the last bit
out.Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 6/13/20  11:10 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: C&C List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com> Subject: Re:
Stus-List Roll-Up Inflatable Dinghies and Motors Bruce,I too have NOT been made
aware of Supreme/93 octane being made by default without ethanol.  The octane
rating is often achieved by simply adding toluene.  I've even seen plans for
toluene injection systems designed for performance vehicles.  As I understand
it the octane doesn't add power or BTUs/gallon but rather changes the
likelihood of combustion due to the heat of compression (ping/pre-detonation).
I'll look for a better explanation and post back.  Anecdotally, I exclusively
use 93 octane in ALL my applications and I have had small engines with what
seem to be trouble due to "stale" gas.  In many cases they had had previous
owners so it is unknown exactly what caused the problems or if it was simply
age related.  The latest was a chainsaw which was ~30 years old (my late
father's).  I didn't perform an autopsy but just simply replaced the carb.
During the replacement I found all of the rubber parts to be in remarkably good
condition with the exception of the impulse fuel line which kinda disintegrated
upon removal.With the Mantis Tiller I've shown before, I found the rubber
diaphragms to be cracked and taking a set.  Again, previous owners could have
done anything so who knows.  I've also had two 5Hp Briggs and Stratton engines
which sat for years with old gas in the carb.  They had clear signs of deposits
and varnish which degraded their performance until it was cleaned up.  These 2
specific engines were in my care (or lack there of) since new.  I don't buy low
octane gas so the octane could not have simply been the cause.  As a side note
the first 2 engines were 2 stroke and the second 2 were 4 stroke.  My diagnosis
is that each pair may have experienced 2 different failure mechanisms.  In the
first 2, the degradation of the rubber and plastic-ish parts.  This is
consistent with ethanol related failures.  In the second 2, it appeared that
varnish/deposits had developed and clogged the small ports and orifices.  This
is consistent with allowing the gas to remain in the system and ultimately
evaporating, leaving behind the normally low concentrations of non-volatile
substances as deposits. This effect is what I believe makes up the varnish.  In
cleaning these deposits I found that carb cleaner was more or less ineffective
and that mechanical removal was necessary.Oddly, I believe that both of these
failure mechanisms can be prevented by "running out" the fuel when done using
the equipment.  Don't just turn of the engine but rather starve it out by
shutting of the gas.  There may be something to be said about the oil in 2
stroke fuel helping to prevent evaporation and the formation of deposits.  Who
knows.Josh Muckley S/V Sea Hawk 1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MDOn Sat, Jun 13, 2020,
10:16 bwhitmore via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:I don't agree,  at
least here in the U.S. that premium gas doesn't have ethanol in it.  There are,
 however,  gas stations that have a pump reserved for non-ethanol gas. Bruce

Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your contributions.  Each and
every one is greatly appreciated.  If you want to support the list - use PayPal
to send contribution --   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray