The diaphragm pumps are great for getting the very last drops but they tend
to be relatively low flow rate.  I would suggest that you consider adding
as high of a capacity pump as will fit and have it run on an automatic
switch.  You could have them run simultaneously but really having just the
new high flow pump run as the primary pump is sufficient.  Once the bilge
is pumped, you can pump the dredges manually with the diaphragm pump.

For high flow you're basically going to get a centrifugal pump.  I replaced
the original Rule with another pricey Rule pump which failed withing 3
years.  I replaced it with a Walmart Atwood Pump which failed within 3
years and replaced it with the current Johnson pump.  I'm not hopeful that
it will last more than 3 years.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+