Best all round pipe sealant:
Hercules Megaloc, it's been around for many years but only available at
wholesale plumbing supplies till recently.  Now, it's on the shelf at Home
Depot & Lowes.   It works on all pipes and drinking water, diesel, propane, and
gasoline, and most everything including plastic pipes:
https://www.pscia.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/oamegalocsellsheet102313.pdf

If the pipe is large or the threads are worn, I'll apply tape first:
https://www.pscia.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/oamegalocsellsheet102313.pdf

That's all I use and keep a small can on the boat and at home.

Chuck S