Has anyone ever experienced an issue with a broken timing belt in our marine diesel engines?

A club member had his break recently and it destroyed his engine which he choose to replace rather than repair....and not sure if it actually could be replaced.   I'll get more info on the exact type of engine and the extent of the damage.  He said some marine diesel engine 'timing belts' can break but not cause the kind of damage his did.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - #277
Halifax, N.S.