Stephen, I have built many rudders. I just finished a year building rudders
for a living as a break from my normal gig. It was a nice sabbatical but
quite demanding physically. If you want a nice rudder built for you contact
Competition Composites, they build nice products.

For a transom hung rudder you cannot (should not) use just foam in the
core. When we built transom hung rudders they were either mostly glassed
wood cores or a composite foam core with a fairly substantial wood stringer
laminated in the centre. When we had foam/wood composite cores there was
usually lots of carbon uni involved as well. I have built a few Shark
rudders as well as a Mirage 25 rudder. They were always solid wood cores.

It sounds like yours is a wood core possibly (probably) with a glass skin.
Coincidently I just rebuilt my Oday Mariner rudder. It is transome hung
with a wood core/glass skin.

For that rebuild I sanded off all the old skin, checked for/fixed any rot
and then reskinned with 2 layers of 6 or 10oz cloth + epoxy. I can contact
you off list if you want more specific details on the process but generally
it is not difficult, just takes some time and care.

Hope that helps