Hi Ian,

The first year 25 mk 1's such as mine (1973 hull #79) were built with a solid
wood rudder.  I read elsewhere on the internet that it was made out of layers
of mahogany plywood.  So wood is an option if you decide to replace it.  I just
have two bad things to say about it: my wood rudder floats to some degree, and
it would bang around all night long due to slop between the hinge pin and worn
gudgeons.  I solved that problem by sleeving the gudgeons with bushings. The
other thing is that the wood rudder can be a little maintenance intensive.  I
tried varnish and epoxy, even had it stripped and redone by professionals, but
it would never last at the waterline where you get all the turbulence against
the transom.  And if you don't keep it protected, it will rot.  Finally I went
to barrier coat with topside paint above the waterline and it has been fine
since.  Putting a boot strip on the rudder is an added layer of protection at
the waterline.

The remaining 25 mk 1's, which is most of them, had rudders that were solid
wood at the top and essentially hollow fiberglass below.  The transition is a
couple inches below the lower pintle.  I assume there are a few inches where
the fiberglass overwraps the wood.  I don't know whether they came from the
factory with drain holes or not.  But if water gets inside the hollow portion
and freezes, it will crack the rudder.  So if it were me I'd put a drain hole
at the bottom and a vent hole at the top.  This would allow the rudder to
free-flood when the boat was in the water, then let the water drain out when
the boat came out of the water.  But you have to keep the holes clear.

In addition to the wooden rudder on my boat, I have two of the newer 25 mk 1
rudders in my garage.  The first one is cracked completely in half just below
the solid wood section.  The boat was scrapped for it's keel, and they left the
rudder on when they pushed the boat off the stands.  The other rudder I took
off another boat that was being scrapped for its keel.  This rudder was allowed
to fill with water, then freeze, so it is cracked.  There was still water
sloshing around inside it and weeping out the crack when I brought it home.  It
actually had a bolt installed in the bottom of it as if to be a threaded plug.
I'm hoping it can be repaired if I ever need it.  Both of these rudders came
from 1974 hulls.

When I look inside the two pieces of the rudder that is cracked in half, at the
leading edge and the trailing edge, there are a few inches of solid fiberglass.
 When I look into the lower half, about 5" down, I can see a strip of plywood
maybe 3/4" thick and 4" wide.  This plywood strip appears to be varnished and
wrapped in fiberglass.  It runs down the center of the bottom 20" of the rudder
and wouldn't have been attached to the solid wood at the top of the rudder in
any way.  So I don't think this is any kind of skeletal structure.  It wouldn't
be very strong.  I think it either served as part of a frame to manufacture the
rudder, allowing the builders to wrap the fiberglass into an airfoil shape.  Or
if the rudder was made in two halves, as others on the list have said, it
helped to hold the halves together.

I believe the 25 mk 2 rudders were identical to the mk 1 rudders, except they
have a small second step where the rudder meets the bottom of the transom.  My
guess is that this was an attempt to prevent lines from getting caught between
the rudder and the transom, which are very difficult to remove, but I don't
know.  So if you can get your hands on a salvaged mk 2 rudder, that would also
work for you.

I believe a new rudder from South Shore is about $3k.  I think you can get foam
rudders from Foss Foam and Phil's Foils for about half that.  They make them
out of blocks of foam and machine them to shape.

Supposedly there's a museum in Canada that now has all the C&C drawings and
will provide them for the cost of scanning or photocopying/mailing, etc..  I'm
not sure if anyone on the list every got drawings for the 25 mk 1, I don't know
if there's a rudder drawing, and if there is I don't know if it would describe
how it was manufactured.

Anyway, if you want any photos or measurements taken of my rudders, or a sketch
that better describes the above, contact me off list.

Thanks,

Mark

Dartmouth, MA