From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2020 2:31 PM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List Real world solar panel experience? - Great
Lakes area

I have experience but my panels are flexible and total 200w.  I am also
considerably further south in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

I have an Gensun MPPT-boost charge controller for each of the 2 panels.  They
are rated for a 105w panel but I think based on the angle of the solar impact
and inefficiency of flexible panels I could have gotten away with 120w panels.
Experience has shown that I can plan on about 50 Amp-hrs per circuit per day.
100 AHr per day into my 450 AHr flooded lead acid battery bank.  The system has
worked perfectly fine over this summer when I have had to abandon the boat away
from shore power for more than 3 months.  It really is not handling a big load.
 Nothing but the bilge pump.  Every time I get on board I do check the battery
voltage and it is always fully charged.

I'm not sure that the solar is sufficient for running comms, navigation
systems, lights, and fridge... Let alone just a fridge on a long term basis.
My cruising habits include motoring into and out of port so the 100 amp
alternator makes short work of topping up the batteries morning and night.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
ne is greatly appreciated.  If you want to support the list - use PayPal to
send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray<https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=2edbfb4b-724dcda8-2edbd23c-0cc47adc5fec-f70b5fdc37bd80a9&q=1&e=4d1f2a1d-df3b-4af7-bf02-711b3d817f0f&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.me%2Fstumurray>