From: Nathan Post <nathan8...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 12:54 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Two questions

I used starboard as spacers under my clutches and I am happy with the result. I
have the halyards run back on the cabin top on my boat although I am not
convinced that is really an advantage over having them at the mast since at the
mast would make reefing and other things actually easier when short handled.

Having the halyard run back to the cabin was done by PO and they didn’t do a
good job patching the holes from the old winches On the deck near the mast
resulting in leaks. I think that some adhesive sealant was used in the holes
but over time it got brittle and didn’t adhere well to the sides of the holes.

I redid that by grinding out a bevel, filling the hole with thickened epoxy and
 laying a few layers of glass and epoxy across the top of each hole.  Then I
sanded flat, filled any dips, and repainted the deck Which was previously
painted.

If you don’t want to paint everything or try to match gel coat color you might
be better off putting a round pan head machine screw back in the hole with
butyl tape under the washer to seal the hole.

Nathan
S/V Wisper
1981 C&C 34