I also “rolled and rolled” (I can explain) my transom with a flag blue 2 part
Perfection.   Passes 1’ test, but its only a transom with none of the compound
curves of topsides.  Happy with it, but would hesitate to do the hull.  Flag
Blue is so unforgiving.  White?  All day long.

From: Danny Haughey <djhaug...@juno.com>
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 8:01 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Painting topside(less non-skid)

The Viking 33 we used to own had the top sides rolled and tipped before I
bought it.  It would pass a 5 ft test.  While we owned the boat I had the yard
paint the boot stripes and they came out beautiful rolled and tipped!  Again,
wouod pass the 5 ft test.

David Rische rolled and tipped his boot stripes a couple of seasons ago and
they came out great too!   That was a bright white against a dark blue hull.

The deck on our current boat was rolled and tipped with a 2 part paint about 8
years before i bought it and it passed a 2 ft test!  Looked really great.  In
fact a very seasoned sailor came aboard with his wife and the wife commented
how good the decks looked.   The husband said, "it's a tartan they're just that
great, they stay looking good."  I then had to tell him that they were painted.

However, that paint job is now failing.   It started to lift and peel off after
about 12 or 13 years.   I've had the whole thing stripped, prepped and sprayed
with awlgrip 2000.  This was because the decks took some abrasion damage due to
a neighboring boat breaking of its mooring during a storm,  hitting my boat,
hooking my anchor with its bow rail and paying out 100 ft of chain across the
deck.  I'm in an insurance battle...  do not use geico marine insurance.

I think it's really about the prep and getting your technique down.   If you
have the time and the patience, it can be beautiful right up close.

Thanks,
Danny