Ray,  I replaced the ports on my 77 38MKII about 15 years ago.  I used the
Lewmar opening ports that come with sturdy frames and an inside cover that
blends well with the interior.  You also get a set of screens that fit,
although we’ve never used them.  On the 38, I was surprised at how close the
Lewmar ports were to the original openings in the cabin. I think we only
removed less than a ¼” all around.  If you do it this way, remember to fill the
gap between the outer and inner fiberglass with an epoxy paste and smooth it
off .  I don’t remember what the original install cost for parts, but this past
year, I replaced them again since the windows do get glazed over time and while
you can replace the plexiglass alone, I decided to remove the frames and redo
the whole project again.  Today’s cost for 5 Lewmar opening windows is in the
$1400 range.

The decision to replace the frames and all was also due to the fact that
sealant ages and while I didn’t have any leaks, removing the Plexiglas was
going to deform the frames so I decided on the full replacement.

You’ll never be sorry after doing this project………having fresh air ventilating
the interior whenever you want it is just great.

I am never successful in uploading pictures to this list, but if you want to
see how it looks finished, let me know and I’ll send a couple by email.

Best,

Ron C.

Impromptu38

C&C MKIIC #125….1977