Geez,

I can't wait to get Althea up here.. You guys are making me jealous.

JP

From: Martin DeYoung <martin.deyo...@outlook.com>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 5:53 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Calypso 1971 C&C 43 update

Ron,

Yes, it would have been Esta Es at Mackinaw in 1997.  The owner was Gene
McCarthy.  Gene's son Glenn would have also been involved.

Calypso as "Esta Es (1986 to 1998 based out of the Chicago area) and as
"Phantom" (1978 to 1986, Walsh family based out of the Green Bay area)
participated in many Chicago/Mac races.  I have not found a good source of
the historical results to have an accurate count but my guess is the boat
has raced the Chi/Mac more than 10 times based on past owner comments and
artifacts found onboard.

I also expect a C&C 43 would be a little too big for easy use on Carlyle
Lake.  I have zero interest in taking Calypso into Lake Washington as it is
my preference to sail on one tack for long enough to eat a sandwich.  Puget
sound is big enough but these 43s seemed to be designed for offshore
passages.

A few years back we participated in the double handed pursuit race named
"Race to the Straits" (R2S) that started in Seattle on Saturday morning. The
Saturday race course finishes in Port Townsend (+-30 miles).  The fleet
stays the night in PT and enjoys a catered dinner/awards presentation.
Sunday AM the race starts in PT and finishes in Seattle. (Several years we
had 2 or 3 C&C 43 entered.) It is a popular race that "sells out" each year
with around 100 entries.

Often the race course presents significant adverse current. Naturally this
means much "short tacking" the shore to gain some relief.  The last R2S
Calypso entered started in heavy #1 headsail (150%) conditions.  By the time
we passed Double Bluff (1/2 way mark) I was gassed enough to be close to
mutiny and stated we were going to sail on one tack for a few miles. I
estimate I did 22 tacks that day.

Martin DeYoung

Calypso

1971 C&C 43