What I do to avoid the cumbersomeness of the television interface, is to
bring Youtube up on my smartphone, get the video I want and play it, then
tap on the icon at the top that looks like a square with a couple of little
quarter circles in the lower left corner. This will cast the YouTube right
to your tv, if it is a smart TV. I think you can still control it from your
phone then, or from the TV.

Bill Coleman