My Universal M4-30 has a tube-in-shell heat exchanger and I keep 1/8" wooden
dowels in my spare kits to rod out the tubes occasionally.  IIRC use a 9/16"
box wrench to remove the single bolt holding each end cover and push the dowel
through to the other side.  There is a zinc screwed into one end to protect the
engine and I change that each year, and rod out the heat exchanger.  It's handy
to setup a small wet vac to clean up the water and scale that falls out.  The
dowels break easily so buy several from the art supply store or WalMart craft
department and cut them in half (18") so you can store some aboard for future.

I would rod out the heat exchanger before acid cleaning, to clear all the
passages, and maybe blow them out with air, to make it easier for the acid to
do it's job and ensure it has equal time to clean all the surfaces.

Chuck Scheaffer Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Pasadena Md