>From a racing perspective I would consider the rating but also the sheeting
angle.

If you plan to race spinnaker and the 135% is for upwind only; there is a
case to be made about taking advantage of the 3-second credit as others
have noted. However, on most days in a JAM fleet, I would want the 155%
downwind.

On my boat (Eduam), my racing headsails include a 155, 135 and a 95. This
past season, I had to press my cruising 140% Dacron into service as a No 1
when the 155% laminate was pulled through a stanchion one too many times.
The biggest problem with this was the inability to find a decent sheeting
angle for the 140%.

Eduam has both deck mounted track (for No. 2) and a cockpit coaming track
for the No 1 (155%). The deck track is lower and outboard of the cockpit
track. When the 140% was sheeted to the deck, I couldn’t point with the
fleet (too far outboard). However, if I moved it to the cockpit track (in
and up), the track was higher and I would lose the top of the sail. In
short, I was never happy using the tracks for the 140% when racing.  If you
decide to go with a 140%, I would make sure your sailmaker measures your
tracks/cars and you discuss sheeting/pointing as part of the design. I
probably lose 3 or 4-degrees going to the 140 from my 155%.

It is conceivable, my poor sheeting angles are self-inflicted issues due to
my own inexperience when ordering the sail. I was 26 at the time and it was
the first sail I had ever purchased for any boat. I went with a national
brand who had made multiple sets of laminate sails for the previous owner
(much accomplished than I) and deferred to them on the design. But the 140%
seems to be in no-man’s land on my boat in racing trim. Perhaps I should
have asked a few more questions. Live and learn.

As far as cruising with the sail, since most of my cruising is shorthanded,
I was initially leaning towards a 130/135% but was talked into going with a
140%. For most of my cruising in Long Island Sound/Raritan Bay/Hudson
River, I am really glad to have the extra sail area.

A light air sail with the better half and dogs? Roll out the full 140%,
leave the main packed and still enjoy sailing. Breeze pipes up on a
delivery? Roller reefed, the sail comes in at about equivalent to a 100% -
sail balance and pointing suffer a bit - but great for flexibility. Tuck in
a reef or two in the main, and the boat is reasonably under control in any
of the conditions I would consider sailing in.

When cruising, if you prefer to sail in lighter air rather than motor, I
wouldn’t hesitate to go larger than the 135%; especially if you have
confidence in your furler and main reefing systems.  That being said, I am
opposed to using the engine in anything but the most still days – not for
any moral high ground - but because the single cylinder Yanmar is noisy,
scares my dogs, melts the ice and warms the beer. Obviously, your needs may
vary.

Cheers,

matt

*Eduam* - C&C 27 MkV (564)