I'm guessing the thread degradation doesn't have much effect on the
strength as long as the shaft is not damaged.  Having said that, the shear
strength of a M12 10.9 hardness bolt is about 7500 lbs.

Did I win?  What's my prize?  Can it be shipped or do I need to pick it
up/sail it home?

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA