HI Bo

What model pedestal and engine and tranny?  If your tranny is a cone design, it
is critical to get full throw at the tranny shift lever or there will be
slippage

The outer sheath is (should be) clamped on both ends so does not move. I see a
hole in your pedestal tube.  Is that for a set screw to hold a bracket??

At the pedestal, can your shifter hit the pedestal body?  If so there may be a
problem as insufficient throw at the tranny.  On mine, there is a double spring
at the tranny so tranny is fully engaged with a bit of spring compression
before shifter hits body both fwd and rev.  Under deck, verify sheath does not
move when shifting.  If it does your pedestal clamping is suspect.

At the tranny, verify the cable sheath is secure and does not move.  Verify the
inner cable is correctly attached to the tranny lever so the lever goes its
full travel in fwd and rev. On ours, the lever is simply clamped onto a rod
that goes into the tranny and can slip.  On mine (Kanzaki on a Yanmar engine)
there are two attachment holes on the lever.  The cable is attached to the
inner one so there is sufficient throw of the cable.

Hope this helps

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34